Defective Medical Devices are a Serious Safety Hazard
There is no doubt that advances in science and medicine have saved many lives across the country and throughout the state of Florida. Innovative medical devices have played a major role in improving the outcomes of some serious health issues. Unfortunately though, there can also be a downside to our reliance on cutting edge medical products. In some cases, these devices have been rushed onto the market by big companies. This can lead to injuries from unsafe medical products. Even worse, in some cases, large companies have hidden or downplayed evidence that indicated that their products were unsafe. In Florida, companies have a legal responsibility to ensure that their products are reasonably safe for consumers. If they fail to live up to that responsibility, they can be held responsible for any resulting injuries. This is done by bringing a product liability claim against the company that manufactured the device. While defective products are an issue in many different industries, the problem may be the biggest in the medical field. Defective medical devices are put on the market all too frequently. If you or a loved one has been injured by a defective medical device, it is imperative that you contact an experienced Tampa defective products lawyer as soon as possible.
Watch Out! Five Medical Devices that Have Caused Injuries
- Da Vinci surgical robot: The Da Vinci surgical robot is used to assist with a wide variety of different types of surgeries. The robot can make extremely small incisions into the patient, which, in theory, could help to reduce blood loss and help speed up recovery. However, due to an electrical problem that sometimes occurs, this device can spark and seriously injure a patient during surgery. Even worse, it is difficult for a surgeon to recognize that the problem until significant damage has already occurred.
- DePuy hip replacements: Some of the hip replacement product made by DePuy have recently been recalled. These defective hip replacements have an extremely high rate of failure and often require patients to undergo an expensive and risky second operation.
- Transvaginal Mesh: A transvaginal mesh is a net-like device that is inserted to help with conditions such as pelvic organ prolapse. Unfortunately, the product design has proven to be seriously flawed and has caused serious damage in many innocent patients.
- NuvaRing: NuvaRing is an alternative form of a birth control that has been on the market for a over a decade. However, the product has now proven to cause complications in many patients. Over $100 million in lawsuit settlements have already been paid out by the responsible company.
- IVC Filter: Inferior Vena Cava filters are inserted in patients following a major accident or intense surgery. This device is designed to help reduce the risk of damaging lung clots. Unfortunately, it has proven to be defective and has caused severe complications to many patients.
Do You Need Legal Assistance?
If you or a loved one has been injured by a defective medical device, we can help. At Pawlowski//Mastrilli Law Group, we offer free initial case reviews to all injured victims. Please contact our team today to learn more about what we can do for you. Our firm represents victims throughout the Tampa region, including in Hillsborough County and Pasco County.