Bad Faith Insurance Claims in Florida
All Florida insurance companies have the legal duty to use good faith claim settlement practices. For example, if you were injured in an automobile accident, any insurance company that you deal with, whether your own or that of another party, must treat your claim fairly and handle it with honesty and integrity. If you believe that your injury claim has been treated unfairly by an insurance company, you need to contact an experienced Tampa bad faith insurance attorney immediately.
Do I Have a Bad Faith Claim?
Florida law requires insurance companies to offer you a fair settlement within a reasonable time frame. If the company fails to live up to that obligation, you may have a viable bad faith insurance claim. Unfortunately, it is often very difficult for injured victims to know exactly when bad faith actions have occurred. Insurance companies have so much more information about settlement practices than do claimants. The following is a list of actions that suggest an insurance company might be acting in bad faith:
- You have received excessive, or unreasonable, requests for documents;
- The company has not made an effort to investigate your claim;
- Company representatives seem to be avoiding your phone calls;
- You have been offered no practical guidance on how to move the settlement process forward;
- The insurer is making bizarre, or unreasonable, interpretations of policy language;
- There has been a significant delay in processing your claim;
- You have only received settlement offers that are so low that you believe they are plainly unfair; and
- Your claim has been denied, and you believe the reasons are invalid.
Every injury case is unique, and some cases do take considerable time to process for legitimate reasons, but if the way the company is treating you feels ‘wrong’, you should contact a bad faith lawyer. Let an experienced professional review your case and help you find the best path forward towards a fair settlement.
Compensation for a Bad Faith insurance Claim in Florida
Victims of bad faith insurance claims deserve compensation for the full extent of their damages. In many cases, bad faith claims are attached onto the initial claim. For example, if you suffered a serious injury in a Tampa Bay car accident, and your insurance claim was treated unfairly, your attorney will seek compensation for the full extent of your damages. This includes:
- The full amount that you should have recovered had your initial insurance claim been handled fairly;
- Any consequential financial damages, in Florida this often includes recovery for court costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees;
- Compensation for any emotional distress that you suffered as a result of the company’s bad faith actions; and
- Potentially, punitive damages.
Need Legal Assistance?
Victims of unfair insurance claim settlement practices need to act fast. Bad faith insurance cases are notoriously complex. You need a qualified attorney by your side as soon as possible. At the Pawlowski//Mastrilli Law Group, our team has the knowledge and experience to get you the compensation you deserve. Please do not hesitate to contact our Tampa Bay office today at (813) 242-4404 to schedule a free review of your case.