St. Petersburg Uninsured Motorist Lawyer
Medical bills, property damage costs, lost wages, and more are all common following a serious car accident in Florida. While these costs–and the noneconomic losses that are associated with them–can be very serious, there is often comfort in knowing that costs will be paid via a car insurance policy. But what happens in the event that the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance? If you find yourself in this position, our St. Petersburg uninsured motorist lawyers at The Pawlowski//Mastrilli Law Group can help.
Required Insurance in Florida and Recovering Compensation After a Crash
Florida maintains a no-fault insurance system, and is unique in the mandatory insurance that drivers must carry. To be sure, the state only requires drivers of standard passenger vehicles to carry:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. PIP coverage in an amount of at least $10,000 is required in Florida. This type of coverage will pay for necessary and reasonable medical expenses regardless of who caused the accident. As such, the fact that the other driver isn’t insured may not matter if your damages are not greater than $10,000 – you will file a claim under your own insurance policy regardless.
- Property Damage Liability (PDL) coverage. In addition to PIP coverage, the state also requires its drivers to carry PDL coverage, which pays for damage to another person’s property caused by the policyholder. As such, if the other driver was at fault for the crash, you would file a claim against their PDL coverage.
If the other driver is uninsured, however, you may be at a loss as to how to proceed. If this is the case, you may be able to turn to other types of non-required insurance that you carry as part of your own policy, such as uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, medical payments coverage, comprehensive coverage, collision coverage, and even towing and labor or rental reimbursement coverage.
How Our Lawyers Can Help
Being involved in a crash with an uninsured driver can feel shocking at first, and you may be panicked about how you will recover compensation to pay for your harm. When you hire our law firm, our primary objective is to make sure that you are compensated for your losses. We will work hard to:
- Identify all potentially liable parties and sources of compensation;
- Review your insurance policy to determine whether or not you’re eligible for compensation through your own coverage;
- Work with other parties, such as doctors and the hospital, to forgive medical debt;
- Negotiate with your insurance company to maximize your compensation amount; and
- File a lawsuit if necessary.
Call Our St. Petersburg Uninsured Motorist Lawyers Today
Serving clients in St. Petersburg and surrounding areas of Florida, our uninsured motorist lawyers understand how unsettling being involved in a crash with an uninsured motorist can be. To learn more about our services and how we can help you recover the compensation award you deserve, please reach out to us directly or send us a message at your convenience. We offer free consultations.