Tampa Criminal Defense Lawyer
Being charged with a crime in Florida is a scary experience, and after being charged with a crime, you may feel hopeless, overwhelmed, or confused about what the future will hold. Unfortunately, many people who are charged with a crime in Tampa do not understand their rights under the law, and make serious errors in representing themselves, often assuming that a criminal charge is the same as a criminal conviction and that there is nothing they can do to fight back, or that because they are innocent, they will be let go. Contact our experienced Tampa criminal lawyers today for more information or assistance.
Our Tampa criminal defense lawyers believe that every person who is charged with a crime deserve competent legal representation and a fair chance to defend themselves against charges. We are highly experienced in multiple areas of criminal defense, and can represent you against charges of:
- Drug crimes. There are multiple different types of drug crimes in Florida, the most common of which are drug possession charges. The penalties that a person will face for a conviction of drug possession depend upon the type of drug the person is found to be in possession of, as well as the amount of drugs. Some drug possession penalties are extremely severe; consider the fact that for a first degree felony drug possession, the charge is up to 30 years in prison and a fine of $10,000. We can help you to explore defenses to drug crime charges, as well as negotiate a plea bargain when doing so is sensible.
- Driving under the influence. Driving under the influence, or DUI, charges can have a serious impact on your life. While prison time is not common for most DUI offenses, large fines, license suspension, and a mark on your permanent criminal record – which can impair your future opportunities – all are.
- Felony charges. Felony crimes are the most serious types of crimes that there are, and include crimes such as arson, murder, drug abuse violations, forgery, and other violence crimes. If you are charged with a felony, having an experienced legal representative on your side who cares about your best interests is critical for your future.
- Gun and weapon charges. While owning a gun is permitted in Florida, as well as certain other weapons, permits are required to do so. If you are found to be in possession of an illegal weapon, or are carrying a concealed weapon illegally and are caught by law enforcement, you may face serious penalties if convicted. In fact, if a gun is used during a crime, there is a mandatory minimum sentence in Florida of 10 years, and if the gun is fired, this is increased to a minimum of 20 years in prison. If someone is injured, the minimum penalty increases to 25 years. You do not want to spend a huge percentage of your life in prison – if you are facing gun or weapons charges, contact our law offices immediately.
- Misdemeanors are the least severe of all crimes (with the exception of traffic violations), but this does not mean that you should not think seriously in investing in legal defense if you are charged with a misdemeanor crime. Common misdemeanors that can show on your criminal record and have a negative effect on your future include possession of alcohol as a minor, shoplifting, reckless driving, petty theft, trespassing, and disorderly conduct.
- Traffic violations and citations. Many people think that a lawyer is the last thing they need when they are charged with a traffic violation or cited, and believe that paying the fine and moving on is a better choice. While paying a fine may seem like a quick resolution, traffic citations can have a huge effect on things like your driving record and your insurance; if you acquire too many points, you may lose your license, and your insurance premiums may skyrocket. Fighting a traffic violation and trying to get the violation reduced to a lesser offense is often a smart choice – contact our law offices to learn more.
Our Tampa criminal defense lawyers are passionate about defending those charged with crimes in our state. We are highly competent in the criminal areas listed above, and prioritize each case that we take on. Innocent or not, our job is to secure the best possible outcome for you. We do this by:
- Investigating your case in depth. We will open a thorough investigation into the charges against you, no matter how minor or severe those charges may seem. We collect all evidence, working with forensic specialists, crime scene investigators, medical professionals, and more.
- Building your case. We have many resources, including a large and talented staff that knows how to build strong cases. We build your case based on the fact, presenting evidence to counter the prosecution’s claims against you. We will also work to have evidence against you dismissed it if was secured by questionable or unconstitutional means.
- Negotiating for a plea or sentencing arrangement. In some cases, striking a plea deal – where you plead guilty in exchange for reduced charges or a less severe sentence – is the best plan of action. We handle all negotiations with the prosecution to ensure your best interests are protected.
Contact Our Experienced Tampa Criminal Defense Lawyers Today
Most people do not realize how much being convicted of a crime can change their lives. Others assume that if they really are innocent, this will be evident to a judge or jury, and charges against them will be dropped. Unfortunately, the criminal justice system is far from perfect, and navigating is successfully takes the skills of an experienced and knowledgeable Tampa criminal defense lawyers.
Our criminal defense lawyers at The Pawlowski//Mastrilli Law Group always fight for you. We care about making sure your constitutional rights are protected, and will never back down when representing you. Please contact us today for your free case consultation. You can call us directly, or fill out our online form. We are able to travel to meet with you if necessary.